The Point Pleasant River Museum and Learning Center focuses on river life and commercial enterprise on the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers. The museum has many displays and video demonstrations. Special guests will highlight topics such as great floods, boat construction, sternwheel steamers, river disasters and the local river industry's contribution to World War II. The museum also offers a pilot house simulator, aquarium and a research library.
The building which houses the Point Pleasant River Museum has had a connection to the river since at least 1854 when it was established as a mercantile by Robert Mitchell. It has also served as a grocery store to accommodate local residents as well as river traffic via the dock just a few yards away at the end of Main Street. The last owner who used the location as a mercantile was the H. G. Nease Company. Many residents to this day know the Museum building as the "Old Nease Building." In the 1940s, a local company bought the property and used the structure as storage space. In 1990, the company Hartley, Hartley & Hartley, Inc., donated the building to the City of Point Pleasant for the purpose of creating a River Museum. After many years of hard work, by numerous volunteers, the Point Pleasant River Museum opened its doors to the public on May 1, 2003.
For more info, visit pprivermuseum.com